Thursday, September 5, 2013

Grrr... DIY lion mask

School is teaching the kids about animals this term and parent has to help the kid make an artwork for show and tell. I thought a toilet paper roll snake would be easy and quick to make (I'm really busy recently) but he insisted he wants a big and powerful animal. He MUST make a lion!

Haiz...

Ok, so I googled and found this quick and easy lion mask that a 4 yr old can DIY. I feel that since the artwork is to be done by the kid, parent shouldn't be too hands-on in doing it. We can guide and give suggestions but we should let the child work on the artwork himself. When I was teaching children's art and crafts during a holidays camp, I've seen too many parents trying to manipulate their kid's artwork, telling them what colour to use, what to draw, and the worst case was when a parent told the child his work is too ugly and asked the kid to exchange his work with mine so they can bring home my work instead. Poor kid. I can still remember the confused look on him when he was told to give up his own artwork for mine.



Materials to prepare...



Draw a circle in the centre of the paper plate and cut out the circle. Then cut out strips of papers (about 2cm x 8cm) from the yellow and orange papers.

 Apply glue around the plate.

Stick the strips of of papers all around, covering the paper plate.

I drew out the shape of the lion's ear on a piece of yellow felt (can use paper too) and a smilier shape but smaller on a piece of red paper. Cut out the shapes and get the kid to glue the red paper on the felt. You will need to make 2 sets for ears.


Stick on longer black strips of paper for whiskers. Staple on rubber bands on both sides so he can wear the mask.  And the mask is completed!




No comments: